Tennis Australia boss Craig Tiley dodged more questions over the Novak Djokovic saga on Sunday, then suggested the World No. 1 ‘would’ return to the tournament in 2023.
Djokovic was deported from Australia last Sunday because he did not meet visa regulations, lied on his immigration papers and admitted he was unvaccinated.
His deportation carried a there year ban from re-entering the country – standard procedure for all visa violations.
During some tough questioning, Tiley reiterated TA was “constantly asking questions, asking for help” and “constantly sought that clarity” from relevant authorities about getting unvaccinated players like Djokovic into the country.
“Yes,” he told the ABC, when asked if Djokovic will come back to Australia. That decision would be the Immigration Minister’s alone.
Tiley also denied the 34-year-old was planning any legal action against TA, as reports surfaced late last week that he was planning to sue for $6 million.
“No. I mean there is going to be lots of reports on different things but we … are focused on delivering an event right now, and we will continue to deliver a great event,” Tiley said.